This basic purchasing policy would need to be adapted to cover the particular range of items your charity buys.
Charity X commits itself to drawing up a green purchasing policy that requires staff to judge all purchasing decisions on the basis of a green purchasing hierarchy:
We will firstly question whether a purchase is strictly necessary and if it is, whether the amounts required could be reduced.
Secondly we will seek to buy re-used items in preference to new items where practical.
If new items have to be purchased, we will seek to buy the most eco-friendly option practical, whether buying locally, with zero or low packaging, made from recycled, non-toxic, bio-degradable or organic materials or more energy efficient.
- We will only buy green renewable electricity.
- We will only buy recycled paper products.
- We will only buy eco-friendly cleaning materials.
- We will only buy sustainable wood and fish products with FSC (forest stewardship council or MSC (Marine stewardship council) certification.
- We will seek to avoid purchase of over-packaged products.
Review – This green purchasing policy shall be reviewed annually upon its adoption.